My father was diagnosed with bladder cancer in spring of 2012. He was given medication and told that there would be a meeting the next month to discuss whether chemotherapy or bladder removal would be the best course of action.

Six months later, we still hadn't heard anything from the VA. My father called repeatedly, but every call either went unanswered or resulted in being told someone would call back, which never happened. No call ever came.

Finally, in December 2012, Dad wrote to his congressperson, and I wrote to mine. A few weeks later he got a call from the VA to come for an appointment. At that appointment, he was told that he had "fallen through the cracks." The cancer, by this point, had become inoperable.

In January 2013, my father was so sick and weak that he had to be taken to the hospital. My mother called the VA and asked what to do, and was told to take him to the nearest emergency room. He died on February 9, 2013.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder whether that lost six months might have saved my father's life. If he hadn't "fallen through the cracks", if he had gotten treatment instead of being forgotten for six months, might he be alive today?

Comments

Huntsville, Alabama, United States #906690

I am dealing with the same feelings. My dad asked his doctor to look in his throat for 5 months, but the doctor didn't.

He finally went to another VA location and the cancer was found. After that, it was months before he heard from them. They finally operated, but it was too late.

They are responsible for his death.